Question re new Bachmann Diesel
MasonJar Wrote:
jwb Wrote:I'm not a Bachmann expert, but the box suggests this isn't current production, and it may be 20 or more years old. In addition, it looks like they had different production runs with different paint for Canada. The Bachmann models I've gotten in the past 20 years or so have never had traction tires -- biggest problem with some is the wheels, which get dirty quickly. This looks like a B23-7, though, and I'm not sure if that's in their current catalog. $25 for a loco that runs at all isn't a bad price these days, anhow. If it runs and you're more or less satisfied, great! You might try lubing the motor bearings, which will probably quiet it down some. If it's that old, it probably needs it.

Bachmann models have steadily improved over the years. They had a bad reputation starting in the 1960s and 70s, when they were cheap junk. They've had a long way to come, but they've definitely been working on it, and their latest models, GP7, FA-2, RS-3, and S-4 are in the B to B-plus range at least.

Interesting, as I think even back then, there were two levels of quality. The junk seems to have been those lightweight locos with pancake motors (mounted directly to the truck, only one truck powered) and traction tires.

But the Bachmann diesel that I got as a 7 year-old (1977) is very heavy, and has the traditional centre-mounted motor powering both trucks via universals. Yes, it has the "fire in the cab" lighting, but it ran smoothly and quietly after sitting in a box for 20+ years.

Important thing is that if you feel it was worth the $25, and you'll use it, then no worries. Wink Big Grin

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew! I'm no expert on pancake motors, but it does give off a high-pitched whirring noise when running -- which is how I think pancake motors sound! I haven't opened it up yet, but I think the motor might be right over the powered truck that had the traction tires !
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread