Using JMRI Panel Pro for Switch Lists
One new feature is the requirement that locos be added to consists, and thus that locos always have a place to go on the layout. This is making me re-think some of my operation, especially in considering where I might be able to put locos -- with car cards and many computer schemes, the locos basically don't exist or are optional, but here I have to get them from someplace on the layout and put them someplace when the train has completed its work. I hadn't added my roundhouse tracks or diesel shop tracks to RailOp or Minirail, because they weren't important to where cars went -- now I have to do it. But also, I have to think about where else a loco can be stashed. For instance, here's a loco escape track in my passenger terminal, where a pair of switchers can logically sit:    
Another nice feature is that JMRI allows you to put multiple locos into a consist, so the program will always handle them together (the same way DCC does, but you don't need the DCC just to run the program). In this case, Frisco 273 and 275 have been put into a consist to work as a single heavy switcher. Over the next couple of days, I'll use them to illustrate the operation of a simple switchlist -- I really like this product!

Messages In This Thread