Small layout concept - help please
jhock Wrote:I think the idea of single industry will work better in the space I have.

For modern times - sure.

jhock Wrote:I think i will stick with my idea lumber/chip mill, I can tap into the biomass energy market!

Well, the market is pretty much irrelevant for planning a small switching layout - when you have room to spot one or two cars at a loading or unloading location during an operating a session, it doesn't much matter whether those two cars are two out of 30 car loads a year (i.e. a couple of cars every other week), or two out of 3 000 car loads a year (10 cars a day for 300 days a year) or whatever - it is two cars to be picked up or spotted that shift.

You obviously can designate car spots any which way that fit the vision you want to create, and model whatever loading and unloading facilities you sensibly can find room around the tracks in 5 feet x 15".

You also can use the old trick of pretending that some of the industry's loading or unloading facilities is "further up that way" - and just spend time sorting the cars for the next couple of locations into the order they will be needed for the next couple of (not modeled) buildings and processes, before leaving them at a track that goes off the end of the layout.

Good luck!

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread