Freelance 2012
jwb Wrote:Reinhard, do you have any kind of operating scheme, e.g. freight car routing?
No, I do not do anything like car cards etc.
The layout is basically a circle around the walls with a four track staging yard on one side without any manual intervention (behind my desk and computer) and the visible part with the small yard and the industry on the other side.

The small yard at the visible part is the logical center of operation. I assume there are at least two lines that meet at the yard and need to exchange cars. The yard has therefor two through tracks and two stub tracks. Most of the trains do also deliver and pickup cars at the local industry (on the layout).
That allows various operating concepts with 1 - 4 RR serving the visible part from the staging yard. Those RR may also serve the industry or a dedicated switcher might do that business.
e.g. A "class 1 (UP/CSX)" passes through the yard and drops and picks up cars. A class 3 RR (LAJ/Corman/FCEN) line meets with the class 1 at the yard and exchanges cars and serves the local industry too. That may be the class 3 local or a dedicated switcher.

Just imagine a virtual cross with the yard and the local industry at the center.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread