Restoring an old friend, my Mantua Pacific
secondhandmodeler Wrote:Thanks guys.

I think my thinking for the semi gloss is the fact that most locomotives I've seen have some sort of gloss to the paint. However, since I model 1950 or so on a secondary line, the locos would not be very shiny at all. Plus, the flat over the gloss isn't as flat as I thought it might be which is good. I'm pleased with the results of this project so far. It doesn't scream MANTUA to me anymore. I just wish I could find a drop in replacement for the current pilot. That beluga whale forehead just doesn't look very realistic to me.

Now I just hope it runs okay with the motor I purchased. At the time I purchased the rebuild parts, I didn't have very much money and didn't spring for the Helix Humper. I just bought a direct replacement Mabuchi can motor. Oh well, it will be better than what it had before.

Thanks again for the compliments. It means a lot coming from anyone on this forum!

Your comments about semi-gloss finish made me remember a comment by Wayne seen years ago. The idea was to start with a semi-gloss finish all over the engine and overspray a dull on certain part. The idea was that the smoke box was the dullest while the cab and tender sides were the most shinier. It would represent a gradation of how part are more of less affected by dirt and soothe from the stack. I think that kind of effect could be obtained with a light weathering.

You just proved us, again and again, that good-looking steamers can be achieved with little money. Credible details in the right place, a good paint job and just enough weathering make a toy a railroad beast!

I often see this Mantua model rebuilt, looks like an all-time favourite. Don't know if it's because it may be generic but still capture a deep feeling of power and strength.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread