Simple track section problem
BR60103 Wrote:Ian: Does the Duette have the reversing switch part of the speed control or is there a separate slide switch for direction? The slide switch would be a DPDT.

Does your unit that stalls have pickup from all wheels or does it pick up from one rail on one truck/bogie and the other rail on the other truck? If it does that, the unit could be stuck between the sections because it's trying to pickup from controller A and return to controller B.
The shunter probably picks up on all wheels so crosses the gap. It might cause a problem if you had one controller set for the opposite direction.

The best solution for your problem might be (well, it's how I do it) to have a selector switch on each block to connect it to either controller. Then you just put both blocks on controller A and run through. The selector switches would probably be a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch with a centre-off position.
If you want to have both locos on the layout at the same time, you will need some place to isolate one of them -- a siding or a piece of track with an on/off switch controlling it.

I haven't played with a Duette for several decades. I think that it has separate transformers for each controller, so your next option is common rail.

A single pole-double throw switch (SPDT) will do the job. This means that one of the two wires from both power packs is a "common" and goes directly from the packs to the track. Each of the two other wires from the power packs goes to one end of the switch. The wire from the center tab of the switch goes to the track. You need one switch per "block". This is essentially the set up described above, but with less wiring involved.
You'll need to have the rail that is connected to the switches isolated from each other (plastic rail joiner or a cut in the track). The other rail (common) does not need to be gapped.

This is the way I had my original layout set up. It had about 8-10 blocks. so I know this works.

Good luck..!! And don't be afraid to ask for more help if you need it.
Gus (LC&P).

Messages In This Thread