Model Train Production News
teejay Wrote:. I notice that a majoriy of young people I encounter are completely against building things . There seems to be a fear factor of making a mistake . Too bad , they're missing out on the fun part of the hobby .

Terry

I don't know if I would say that is entirely the case. Mistakes are a fear, but its also because there is not necessarily a lot of stuff out there to work with.

There is a inherent lack of accessibility to young people in the hobby. They can't just go to a hobby shop to view things at will, nor can they go to trainshows. they may not have the money to afford these kits.

often times, the only good base models are fairly expensive and for a young person, they can't just shrug off that sort of loss, its a real setback.

I could spend $169+ on a new Walthers Metroliner EMU to convert into an Amtrak push-pull cab, or I could just buy two of the new amfleets and save $20. One entails a lot of risk, and the other is pretty much guaranteed satisfaction.

Sure, you can get the old Bachmann Metroliners for cheap (sometimes) for this hypothetical project, but then they are not always easy to find or obtain either.

There just isn't a lot of cheap fodder for kitbashing experiments these days, and the certainly isn't a lot of opportunity to learn how to do these things from other people, apart from some of these railroad forums, which is a whole different story.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread