New SD9s (and paint scheme) for the KP&W
The Kings Port & Western recently aquired two SD9s, one from the Great Northern and another from the Bessimer. When they coincidentally arrived the same day management was struck by their similar paint schemes.
[Image: 001-14.jpg]

Usually KP&W locomtives have been painted orange and slate blue....but it was thought that an orange and black scheme would nicely compliment the orange and black box cars of the line (seen in the background).
[Image: 002-12.jpg]

Here is what the paint shop came up with...
[Image: 002-16.jpg]

Welllll, OK, the real story is that
I've been wanting to have a pair of KP&W locomotives pull a long string of open hoppers to represent coal trains that come to the Penn Central in the Hudson Valley via the KP&W and connections west (including bil's LS&W). I have two SD9s that do the job nicely that wear PC and Pennsy colors
[Image: 002-15.jpg]

A couple of weeks ago I found the two SD9 shells pictrured at the top of this post for less than $20 for the pair (handrails included and assembled!). Their similar orange and black schemes inspired me to create an orange and black KP&W scheme for them. Once they were painted and lettered with home made decals I simply switched out the shells. Now the KP&W runs coal trains as I've been imagining. Smile
[Image: 005-10.jpg]

Ralph

Messages In This Thread