Reconditioning a Akane B&O EM-1....
Well guys, you've seen pictures of my brass EM-1 that was on the trestle of my display case, now its time to put together the reconditioning of that model.....

It began, back on Christmas vacation of 2008, that I began the work to it....

And here it comes! I decided on MY Christmas holiday I was going to begin work on my Brass B&O EM-1, paint removal, detail refining and added "extra" detail.

So, without further ado, I'll begin on whats been done, with pictures to accompany it! Big Grin

First up,

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail000.jpg]

This is the "NEW" boiler front. I've drilled a hole to install a "B&O Capitol Dome" where a "decal" plate was put. Its a VERY thin piece, so I did not remove it but to drill right through the center of it, with a slightly enlarged drill bit for the hole size and good "adjustable fit" for the Capitol Dome detail casting. (The Capitol Dome detail casting will NOT be installed till AFTER the locomotive is painted!

Also you'll see I add a better detailed Feedwater heater detail part, then that from the factory, in 1958. (Yes I've got an extremely OLD Akane Model here!) To the new Feedwater heater detail, I added better detailed pipe, leading to it, which is "lagged" as should be! With this, I also added other smaller pipes that lead to the Feedwater Heater detail, on the bottom edge of the boiler front, just below the smokebox door, and to the right of it. The feedwater heater detail, and pipping are of my own castings! (Yes I casted my own parts, and will return into the detail casting business ASAP, as I want to get back into it!) I did that some time ago tho... Which is one reason I want to return to the casting industry, as its a good way to make a few $$ and it also allows me to make parts no one else sells and such so.....Anyway, at the time of that casting, I was still residing in Pennsylvania!

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail001.jpg]

This shows the length and place that feedwater heater larger pipe goes, I made this from 1/16th inch brass rod, formed to shape. It leads behind the sand dome to a casted detail fitting, which you'll see with more pictures! Also underneath the boiler "catwalk" you'll see the smaller pipes I added with 2 pipe, pipe hangers from Cal-Scale. These were originally on TOP of the Catwalk! And from pictures of the real thing, were NOT in the correct location. So, that was means of re-location.

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail002.jpg]

This is a continued picture to show where these smaller pipes lead to, and the added feedwater heater "Cold Water Pump" under the cab corner. Which you'll get a better picture of as well in a few more pictures. This picture also show my revised "Turret" pipping, (I just wasn't happy with what was there, not to mention it was already loose at the solder joint.)

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail003.jpg]

This picture shows the Feedwater Heater "Cold Water Pump" and its bracket made to hold it. With all the piping attached to it. It also shows on the opposite corner, the added Nathan Injector, which was a VERY CRUDE representation, by factory. As, in a few pictures, you will see all the attached pipping to it alot better.

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail004.jpg]

This is that picture showing the Nathan Injector, with attached brass pipping.

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail005.jpg]

This shows the old original Articulated Power Reverse refined, with a nice Cal-Scale casting in its place, with pipping going to it, and some factory pipping re-attached as it needed removed to add the new Power Reverse. This picture also shows a refined Front End Throttle, with rods and rod hangers in place.

Next:

[Image: BOEM-17600BoilerRedetail007.jpg]

This shows the top of the boiler with the added feedwater heater pipe fitting, and a newly added air tank cross over pipe. Also seen is the new front end throttle end, where all the action takes place!
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"

Messages In This Thread