Looks like google predicts the end of model trains
disagree. True, an Xbox costs about as much as a high end locomotive, but thats it. once you have it, you have "your layout". Few games cost more than $60, but most locomotives cost WELL over that price. Sure you can scrounge up some deals, but that depends on A.) how much you trust Ebay and B.) if there are any hobby shops or other places selling the stuff cheap.
-----------------------
Let's not rule out the newer Bachmann with DCC/Sound that costs less then some Dragons for RPGs and video games.Then there's the DCC on board locomotives that sells for around $40-60.00..Also today's teens and young adults already know shopping on line saves money-this is the computer age.As far as hobby shops the pallbearers is at the door-unless the shop has a web page with competitive prices.The old school hobby shops are going by the way of the dinosaur.
---------------------
Perhaps, but the hobby shops i go to paint a differnet picture, that its usually these kids 20-30 years later who are picking up the hobby..
----------------------
Again the hobby shop is no longer the go to source for any hobby-the internet age has clearly won the sales battle-even the big box stores sell on line and will ship to your house or closest store.
------------------------
I wonder if there has ever been any legitimate research on the topic.
-----------------------
With all the unknown modelers and dabblers out there would that be possible? I don't think it would be.

At any rate I suspect we would be surprise how many teens and young adults are in the hobby that has never seen the inside of a hobby shop..There's no longer a need to go to a shop and pay full MSRP..Any question can be research on line,on you tube or one of the hundreds of model railroad forums.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread