Help with nolix (modified helix)
I took this topic to another forum but got limited response so hoping some here have some great imput.

I'm building an N scale layout but I know more in HO have build RR's with inclines (grade) than in N scale. And a grade is a grade is a grade, a 2 % percent grade in HO is the same as a 2 % grade prototypically.

What I am building is a modified helix as you'll see in the pic below. I really have three questions but I'm open to any comments that will help me. In the nolix area as you will, the trains will be going four times around the area, in the front "S" area, the train will be visible twice in a four rotation. The first and second time (visible the second time in the S area), the track will be stack one above the other with the first time not visible. The train will come around a third time and be visible, seperated by a river (Fraser Canyon). The fourth time the track will not be visible.

Question one: Without using foam, I'm using plywood roadbed 1/2 thick supported roughly every foot, how do I begin the first two feet of the grade to make it gradual? I'm planning roughly on a 2% grade, a wee bit more actually.

Question two: If I am making a 2.2 % grade, then .2 would be roughly 3.2 16ths of an inch. How finely can you measure this minutely in building a 2.2 grade.

[Image: IMG_0724.jpg]
Question three: How do I compute the grade or rise in the S section, since it isn't straight, can I just fudge and set the grade a tad higher than 2.2 in this area (since it is easier for the train to snake its way up a grade then directly up a grade).

Messages In This Thread