The "Good Old Days" of Model Railroading
Now we have knuckle couplers as standard equipment in most scales.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually HO had knuckle couplers as early as the mid 50s..These were made by Model Die Casting.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://webspace.webring.com/people/ib/budb3/arts/tech/cuphist.html">http://webspace.webring.com/people/ib/b ... phist.html</a><!-- m -->
-----------------------------------------

and ready-made trees that don't necessarily look like flocked ping pong balls.
----------------------------------------
How about the ready made lollipop trees of the 50/60s?
---------------------------------------
What about the bad old days?
-------------------------------------
I suppose that would be before my time when 90% of the locomotives had to be scratch built and freight cars was built from wooden kits and had paper sides.
So what exactly were the good old days of this hobby?
That's a wide open question but,for me it was the 60s.Affordable brass locomotives,improved A freight car kits,early RTR cars,better looking structures and better rolling trucks with RP25 wheels..Modelers seem to be less uptight when it comes to perfection then they are today.LHS was the place to be on Saturday morning and train shows was just that-a place to show your models and sell your unwanted models and parts.
Of course every decade was the good old days but,the 60s stands out in my mind as the best decade since things was starting to change.
-----------------------------------------
What once was the latest how-to guide is often now a quaint historic record.
------------------------------------------

Most modelers back then snub the how to books as a rip off for new modelers since the hobby isn't exactly all that hard if they can follow written instructions or ever had a Lionel or American Flyer train set.

A lot of the modeling techniques use back then is still valuable today..

Even the car card/waybill was a child of the 60s and the 60s was the dawning of prototypical operation.

So,some things hasn't changed in the past 60 years.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread