Union Pacific studying Big Boy restoration project
jwb Wrote:In the past, I was skeptical of these reports -- I think a dozen or so years ago, there were rumors of a Big Boy in Texas being restored, and I pooh-poohed them at the time

I was in Dallas, at the time of that " report ", The loco there was in pretty sad shape, and looked like UP had " disabled it " to the point where it was really not worth what would have to be spent to restore it to operating condition.
If UP is seriously considering the restoration, there just might be a possibility of seeing a Big Boy running!

It would be a shame to fire it with Oil, I know, it's cleaner and more efficient than Coal, and better for the environment.
But, sit at an intersection at 2:30 AM, with the engine running, because the light is red, with no other traffic in sight, knowing that the cop is waiting for you to "run the red", so he can write you a ticket,- - Duh !! - - and think about all the CO2 that is dumped into the atmosphere, by all the cars nation wide, in the same situation.
Make the lights "Demand Cycle" rather than "Timed Cycle", in Off Peak traffic hours, and the burning of coal for a Big Boy would be inconsequential.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread