New switching layout
FCIN Wrote:Very nice clean track plan! I especially like the use of curved switches into the industrial area; a feature you often see when exploring various industrial areas. Having experimented with many variations of my own switching layout, I know there is a temptation to try and add "just one more" track and industry, but it isn't really necessary. Just one, two or three large rail served industries with specific spots for certain car types generates far more operation then a simple track plan would seem to have. Having worked many years on the prototype and working large industries like I describe, I know very well how much "operation interest" can be found in a simple looking track arrangement.

Having tried out several track arrangements with as many as 6 separate industries and spurs on my 20 foot long switching layout, I've found that not to be necessary. It's just a matter of selecting interesting industries that often handle more than one type of car and require a good amount of switching at each one and you've got a simple (read: low cost to construct) layout with a lot of operation. You can find numerous examples of such industries in the "Industries Along The Rails" section. In fact, almost too many to choose from! You can even do like several of the folks on here have suggested and change out the industries from time to time for variety - something I've considered doing.

I also reached the conclusion some time ago, that by going freelance, I can pick and choose the industries that I want and also vary what the railroad is from one operating session to the next. Like most of us, I've managed to acquire a lot of different types of motive power (that I really didn't need) so one day my industrial spur is L&N (one of my former railroad employers), the next it might be MP, Conrail or something totally freelance like a private switching service.

Seems like Lance Mindheim recently proposed a single industry switching layout on his web site that is based on a prototype bakery in Miami, FL. Most model railroaders would shy away from such a simple looking plan, thinking that the lack of spurs would not be interesting, yet the fact that this one industry supports three car types with specific spots makes it worthy of note and of course supports prototype operation.

Will be very interested in seeing how your plan progresses. Keep up the good work - you will no doubt inspire some of us to get going on our own layouts.

Like the idea of changing out the industries from time to time for variety. Thumbsup
Today I have been laying some track, want to test fitting my track plan.

[Image: dscf2720l.jpg]

[Image: dscf2717b.jpg]

Messages In This Thread