Herc Driver's Engine Roster
Yep - Kato did a really nice job on their SD70 line. The Digitrax decoder fits marginally well...the front electrical pickups are just a bit too big. I've tried sanding down the frame to accepts the decoder better, but that hasn't been easy. It fits in well enough...but isn't a great fit like some of the other Digitrax decoders and Kato engines. I have two more SD70s on order - both in the UP Heritage colors of Rio Grande and MoPac. When they arrive, I think I'll be done buying engines for a long time. I can't afford to put decoders in all of them much as I'd like to. I'll probably end up with decoders in about half the roster, and leave the others to occasional dc running on the layout. I'm still playing with the idea of a switch to change from running DCC to DC where there's no way to parallel the power sources. I bought a switch from Radio Shack, but it was built too poorly to be used. So I'm going to hunt around for a better switch and be able to run all-DC or all-DCC whenever we want. That way my kids can use the other DC power pack and not worry about decoder vs. non-decoder equipped engines.

The tough thing lately is obtaining decoders. Digitrax moved their operation from GA to FL and since then has had problems fulfilling orders. I'll probably start switching to another decoder maker if I can't get the right decoders from Digitrax in a more timely manner.

Coming soon...pictures of the layout.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread