What do you think of this 3x6 track plan?
Cheers Ditto to the Givens & Druthers form.

I would add the idea that there is a sequence of trains to run, or some operational goal. Let the trains tell the story. If their storyline is a bit dull, then let the scenery tell the story. Mini-scenes can also add great interest to small layouts, but for really small (as in micro-layouts) you really may only get one such story or theme on there. You could include several smaller scenes within a larger story 'arc' to give your layout a distinct flavor or character.

Here's an idea. Make a stub-end siding that runs behind a barrier on one of the short ends of the layout. The barrier doesn't have to be a wall of sky backdrop, it can be a hill or a factory, something to hide the train from your normal viewing angles. Let this be your staging to move equipment on and off the layout. Put a siding on the inner loop and arrange it so that your shunting engine will need to travel the greatest distance around the layout from the staging siding all the way to the delivery point before making the setout. Even better if it has to stop, run around the train (just make a trip around the loop to get on the other end...no runaround siding necessary) and then proceed, shoving or pulling as necessary to place the cars.

Put two tracks behind the barrier and keep a short passenger train back there. Run it like a typical branchline push-pull operation for commuters, with the train making regular appearances. This varies the operating and doesn't have to be difficult.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread