GEC's Layout Progress
Now that the East Penn Show is over, I can move on to a few other projects. Soon, I'll have to go back to work on my club's city scene. I will return to the module soon (want it in TOP shape for the MER division NMRA convention thing), but I'm gonna go back to getting some of my models together.

Proto Amfleet I rolling problems

I was initially excited about the Proto Amfleet I cars by Walthers. These would be all new tooling, and a new truck design. One of the challenges in with the "inside frame" trucks is that the trucks tend to weigh down on the axle and act like a brake. The older design sometimes did not roll very well. This new design with a bushing (very similar to those on Athearn style locomotives) was supposed to be an improvement.

Unfortunately, these cars also roll poorly. Indeed, many cars would not roll period. If you pushed them, they'd stop where you did. Oil helped in the old design, but in the new design, it only made it worse (though smoother).

I have begun loading the bushings/bearings with Kadee "Grease'em", which is a graphite powder. This worked like magic on some of the cars, not so much on others. I have yet to put the entire train on the layout and try running it again, but at least this time, the cars will roll for a distance if pushed.

I'm hoping this can be resolved, since I'd like to run some of the longer amfleet consists if I get the chance. I have finished the work on the cars, but have not yet had a chance to test it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread