GEC's Layout Progress
acelaphillies Wrote:I have also tried Solvaset and Scotch tape to remove factory lettering. I have heard that it works for some people, especially on Athearn stuff. However, when I tried to remove the Acela logos on my HHP-8 I would up taking off some paint. It seems like there are a handful of methods that all work ok but not great. Maybe I will try out the wet sanding approach. Factory numbered locos are nice and easy, but they do have limitations.

Bachmann's pad printing is the worst. It helped that on my Conrail E33, the plastic is also Conrail blue! I know of a few people who have attempted to remove those logos, and they get stuck with a "ghost" every time! Leave it to Bachmann to make our lives harder.

I wonder if they could be sanded off and polished easily? That metallic finish is just the worst to modify.

Technically, they were originally delivered this way, so I won't touch them. My HHP8 is a yard queen anyway. I think I tried to put DCC in it once, but I don't remember how that worked out, all I know is that it sits on my shelf to this day. I remember it ran VERY slow, hardly fast enough for the corridor! I might have to remove the board and hard wire the decoder directly.

Considering the prototypes are all stored now, I might pick up one more road number, just to have it.

Some old shots. These are from 2011, and its probably the last time I even photographed this unit intentionally!

[Image: P9210183.jpg]

[Image: P9210175.jpg]

Tyson Rayles Wrote:4751 is a real cutie! Thumbsup

It has become real popular at my club. Its strong and fast for such a small engine. Definitely worth every penny!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread