GEC's Layout Progress
Minor progress updates

Conrail 3640

Technically old news, but not posted here, I did finish up my ex-Reading GP35, Conrail #3640. It can use some other details and minor paint changes, but its otherwise complete. I ran it for the last few weekends of my train club's open house, and it did fairly well, consider it was given a "trial by fire", moving right off my work bench into operating at a public event. It also took a trip with me to Timmonium Maryland, where I was briefly on display to try and get more "electric" modular followers.

What I really need to do, is finish up my Reading Green Cars. I MIGHT be able to get one done for the Valley Forge RPM, and I know it would be appreciated there!

[Image: P2061070.jpg]

What to do with my other GP35

The real question, is what to do with my second GP35. I had planned to paint and detail my second undecorated GP35 as Conrail #3660, a former Erie Lackawanna unit. Currently, Walthers has announced an Erie Lackawanna GP35 as part of its P2K line, and it would make a much better starting point than the Athearn version, Primarily because the Athearn type is a "Phase 1" engine, while the EL units are Phase 2 (which would require surgery, though minor, to correct). I'd much rather patch an existing model than start from scratch so I'll wait.

I am considering instead, modeling one of the ex-New York Centrail GP35s. These were special in that they lacked the dynamic brake fan, making them stand out a little. Some ex-NYC units also received "incomplete" Conrail paint schemes (presumably because the lack of dynamic brakes limited their usefulness and perhaps made them ripe for retirement?), and lacked full logos and lettering.

Given that the available parts in the undecorated GP35s allow me to go that route, I am considering trying one of those instead.

#2389 might be interesting. Notice the rear fan is lower than the forward radiator fan. Also, there are two CR patches on the nose, one faded out, with another placed on top. Might make a neat project!

[Image: pictures%5C23339%5Cz309.jpg]

Now, painting this one might be an interesting challenge!

[Image: pictures%5C32682%5CCR%202398%20Bing%203-...1-3%5D.jpg]

Jersey Arrow I

I bit the bullet and orderd three new Stanton drives to power my Arrow Is. this mean all but car #100 will be powered. Since #100 was built already, I am leaving it unpowered for now, since "breaking" the model to open the truck areas might do more harm than good at this point. On dummy amongst three powered units shouldn't be that bad.

I will have to order a few more for my remaining Silverliner IIIs and my Silverliner IIs. I'm still holding out on maybe buying a Metroliner drive for the GE cars (Arrow II, Arrow III, and Silverliner IVs). Generally speaking, I need to get some of my MU fleet back up and running. I have tons of these cars tied up either as unfinished kits, or because I don't have the parts for them. These Arrow Is will be easy pickings at least.

In the meantime, I will try to get the under-bodies painted and the body shells decorated. I'm not sure how I feel about the body shell paint jobs, but I'll give them an extra coat of Alclad if it looks like they'll need it.

I will have to start thinking about lighting. One of the issues, is that the marker lights are recessed into the numberboards on these cars. The model lacks any sort of dimple or mark for them. I hesitate to free hand this, so I will have to devise a way to drill the marker light holes consistently. They are visible in this photo of car #100 as black dots mounted IN the number boards (rather than their own lenses in the corners like on other MUs).

A small LED and some fiber optics ought do the trick.

[Image: pictures%5C42659%5Cz317.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread