GEC's Layout Progress
Ralph Wrote:Great choice for your first pic! Smile That loading dock photo is especially realistic!
Ralph

Trucklover Wrote:WOW Chris, thanks for the pics, everything looks good and i like the change from the oil loading platform to the loading dock!! Thumbsup

Thanks! I really need to finish it, its really just a thing i quickly put together from some scrap styrene! The main problem is I can't figure out a good way to get between the building itself and the loading dock. The rail loading dock on American Hardware Supply is very skinny, and building a ramp around the two inside tracks and to the loading dock there looks alittle hazardous for fork lifts. I do know that on the prototype, boxcars had little bridges across eachother to get to a second set of box cars, and I've already begun doing that. I've thought about extending the loading dock, but the building has been built into the surrounding scenery, and if i start taking up more space, I'm going to loose some believeablility i think. The only other option i thought about was building up to the truck loading docks on the side. I could almost make the industry be a team track as well, but it wouldn't really change the way it all operated. I haven't heard of a business sharing its loading dock, but we'll see how it works.

That whole corner needs to be finished, actually. I have the scenery i wanted to use, and so i'm thinking before christmas i'll have most of it done.

wgrider Wrote:Looks good Chris, will you be ballasting the track for better drainage?

I'm really hesitant to ballast the mainline. I know I really should get that done soon, before the catenary goes in permanently. The problem is i've been thinking about adding block detection, so that maybe I can have a few signals that change aspects or something. On the other hand, the layout is so compact that i don't think i really could accurately make Signals for most of it, but I figure atleast for the passing tracks, there should be a signal of some kind. I'm guessing i'm going to have to use the electrically operated block detectors, which means i need to wire and islolate my blocks. If I have to tear up ballasted track, it won't look right and i'll need to re-do it, so i've been putting off ballasting the mainline.

I also want to add under-table switch machines, and so i'll probably try to get things prepped for that before i add more ballast. We'll see how it goes!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread