GEC's Layout Progress
So, today is the first time in a LONG time that anything has run on my layout in my basement. If I had to guess, its been at least 5 years, but likely MUCH longer. I cleared everything off, vacuumed the layout down, scrubbed the track, and put it all back. I ran my GP15-1 around the different tracks to make sure it all worked. Apart from some loose wiring, the layout seems to be just as functional as the last time I used it.

[Image: 28468763_10154679081554364_1222897173377581056_o.jpg]

I was quick to populate the layout with cars and really try it out. I ran whole "operating" session, which ran almost without issue (certain atlas tank cars were trouble, but I think that was the car's fault). My layout had been down so long, that for many of the models in the photos, it was literally their first time running on these rails even though I've had them for years.

[Image: P3021545.jpg]

A pair of Reading RDC-1s roll by with red markers lit. Unfortunately, I will probably not reinstall the catenary poles here. I'm going to try and transplant them elsewhere.

[Image: P3021546.jpg]

GP10 7566 works in the yard.

[Image: P3021538.jpg]

GP35 3660 sits on a yard track. The photo doesn't do it justice, I did add some light weathering befitting of a patched engine.

[Image: P3021541.jpg]

I also tried running a truncated Jersey Builder. Having this GP40P makes it a little easier to "let go" of electric operation on this layout for the time being. It still fits my modeled area and era. In any case, I have modules for the electric stuff!

[Image: P3021532.jpg]

Believe me though, I am still all in on modeling the electrified lines.

I took this quick picture of my roster. The diesels appear to outnumber my electrics now, but thats only been a recent development, and in any case, not all of my Arrows, Silverliners, and Reading MU cars are present.

[Image: P3021560.jpg]

Speaking of electrics, I'm not sure I've ever shared this S-motor I acquired. I'm probably going to repaint and rebuild it as PC/CR unit. These were the oldest locomotives on Conrail's Roster, but I believe they kept their Penn Central lettering. They were used mostly for switching on Metro North.

[Image: P3021568.jpg]

Also new from Christmas, a Staten Island Rapid Transit S2. I was a tad disappointed to find out that this S2 was not the same S2 running on the SIRT until a few years ago. Apparently, it was retired and scrapped in the late 1970s, and replaced with one from the US Army Aberdeen proving grounds, and former LIRR units. Still, its a cool unit to have!

[Image: P3021564.jpg]

Thats it for now, hopefully more pictures will be posted soon.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread