Repowering a pair of hudsons
I recently purchased a motor for my On3 2-8-0 project...but also chose to nab a few additional motors while I was at it. I picked up three Maxon 2232 coreless motors with the intention of using one in the 2-8-0, one in my favorite hudson, and the third either in my #2 hudson or in another 2-8-0. I also got a few others.

They arrived yesterday. The 2232 is magnificent in my 2-8-0. Unfortunately...which I sort of expected...it is a bit too fast for my hudson. Sure, it moves slow enough that the only way I can tell its moving is by watching the worm gear slowly rotate, but it hits 90mph at around 20% power...so it makes sense to either regear (which I was expecting) or install a slower motor. I previously didn't know if the gearing in my hudsons was junk or not. I thought it would be...but it clearly isn't. The hudsons are brass imports from Japan in 1977. They were noisy and poor runners. I know now that the gearing is actually fine...and so I'd prefer not to regear it...the open frame motors were the problem (on the contrary, the newer open frame motors in my Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0 and MDC HOn3 2-8-0 are staying as they're fine).

So, I also received a Maxon 2522 and a Canon can motor (which is comparable in size). The 2522 is much slower than the 2232. So, I tested both the 2522 and the Canon in one of my hudsons. The 2522 is definitely the nicer of the two (there is no comparing coreless and can motors imo...except for their prices). I plan on using the 2522 in my #1 hudson and the Canon in my #2. One of these will be NKP 175 and the other will be NKP 176. I have additional work to do on one of the frames due to a design flaw in the valve gear of these. Both motors are small enough that the cabs will be receiving backheads.

[Image: IMG_2808.jpg]
All seven motors cost me $100...which is an average of $14.30 per motor...not bad for 5 coreless and 2 quality can motors. I've been looking over my fleet of locomotives to see what else might benefit from a new motor Icon_twisted
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread