88FANS Scratchbuild '09 Challenge
OK, I had been working on this for quite some time. Just had it holding on the RIP track, until the what I thought was the start date. Then Trucklover pulled a fast one on all of us, and posted a finished project. So..... After checking with the judge, found out it was ok to post early.
With out further stammering I present you:

88Fans 2009 Summer Structure Scrtachbuild Challenge.

On the last scratchbuild challenge, I built a station (Ore Hill)that actually was used by the real Central New England in the mid 1800's to the early 1920's, until the Barnum-Richardson iron ore mine closed.

This challenge, I'm again going to scratch build another Central New England station.

History:
This is Stratton Brook, a flag stop station, which was on the Tarriffville Branch(Avon, CT to Tarriffville, CT) during the late 1800's. Stratton Brook was no more than a collection of small houses, and a farm, which shipped milk from the station. There was also a small leather company nearby, which would pick up its raw materials and ship finished products from here. They were brought here by horse and buckboard. When The New Haven gained control of the CNE, The Central New England tracks were removed in favor of the Canal Route's Right Of Way(Which are behind the photographer) and the station was closed because of the close proximity to Simsbury(Only two and a half miles up the road) and the station was ripped down at the same time.
There's a story that goes, on one cold wintry day, the mail bag was thrown of the train "on The Fly". This was standard when there was no one waiting at the station to be picked up. Well, a search for the bag ensued, with no luck. That next spring, the mail bag was found in the brook by a couple kids who found it while fishing.

Modeling Stratton Brook
As with Ore Hill, I'm going to have to use my modelers licence and guess the dimensions. But I thought, that since at the time I only hadthe first picture to go on, I was going to have to guess what was trackside. Since there's a shelter, I was assuming, as with all flag stops at the time on the CNE, that the trackside of the shelter was open. Then, while searching the net, I found this picture.

This picture was going to make modeling this depot easy. Also, on the same site, was the same picture as the first one with the date '82. Obvisously, 1882.
Then, I neat idea hit. I'm going to model two of the same stations, one that is a copy of the one in the pictures, and a modern, renovation of Stratton Brook, as it was preserved and is used as a commuter station today. I will design the base and scenery so I can change eras by just changing out the stations.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread