Rebuilding and digitalizing a brass gasoline rail coach
Some times ago I purchased this older brass model at US-Ebay.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_03k.JPG]

The HO-scale model represents a New York, New Haven & Hartford gasoline rail coach where ten coaches with #9014 to #9023 which were built by Brill in 1925.
That what is so fascinating to me is the very long hood overhang far in front to the front truck. I have got a few copies of pictures from a book and all my impressions are confirmed by these pictures.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_04k.JPG]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_05k.JPG]

The underbody has had a very simple detailing however the problem was the rear truck that could not turn or swing to move in curves. Look the primitive fixing of rear truck that is wide far from a correct modeling quality. In result the coach did run but only on straight tracks.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_06k.JPG]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_07k.JPG]

A more problem was typically for the model in original condition. A mounting plate for a coupler on backside was arranged however the rear truck was positioned at most back end of ground plate so that a rear coupler could not added to the model. Why a coupler adds to such a coach? (At end I mounted a small no. 158 whisker coupler.)

My wish list for modifying this model was not a very short one.
- First the model should run without restrictions; I think this is the basic requirement for each model.
- Second the model should have a rear coupler for moving a single car from station to station as an exception but model should be usable for small switching jobs in a small station without an own yard goat. Thereby a working front coupler is the next requirement.
- Third the model should get a more detailed under-floor after that what I can do. In a further step I planned also a completion by interior, a driver for the coach and a few passengers.
- Fourth the model must be digitalized because all my friends own digitalized layouts with the according model equipment. If I would let to run this coach so I must equip it after their requirements – and thus this model should be my digitalizing job. Part of this digitalizing job should be also a lighting of front and back lamps (also inside?) – all things that I never did before.
- Correct or nearby correct coloring and lettering is one of my basic requirements also.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_08k.JPG]

First step was removing most of under-floor details for replacing and a repositioning.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_09k.JPG]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_10k.JPG]

Here two pictures of the new detailed under-floor.
The upper picture shows e lot of holes for the speaker which will be installed with the sound-digitalizing. And the frame did get a new fixing bridge for the rear truck, above at right side, lower picture in above-left position. Most brake parts have got a changed position and they are completed by a lot of small additional parts; a brake as I love to build it.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_11k.JPG]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_19k.jpg]

I modified the front truck so that the one side frame can turn and so I get an all wheel contact to the rails. I think that this is a really needed requirement for a well running motor car avoiding powerless track positions. The second picture shows also my solution for a four wheel power pick-up.
The rear truck is a Tenshodo power truck where all four wheels are equipped with power feeders however the two wheel sets do not swing in the truck frame. Thereby I must not invest additional work.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_18k.jpg]

Here a picture that my friend has shot who colored the coach following my instructions. The rail coach moves from the paint shop back to my home shop, yet without lettering and yet with the need for adding LEDs to front and back lamps. Now I know that this was a mistake in the sequence of work steps. The housing did get a few small marks while adding the LEDs and the wiring.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_26k1.jpg]

A view inside: Speaker and decoder are glued in the bow of high roof and all wires are added. You see also that I added a big number of connectors so that I can remove or also add additional wiring. So I have got a free space for adding an interior without seeing all the electronic components through the windows.

[Image: NYNHandH-Lettering.jpg]

One of last steps in the moment was the making of the correct lettering because I would own a model in date of origin of these rail coaches. However not one of the decal makers offer the right lettering so I must draw them by self – not the first time. I have straightened picture of a real coach and did set a cutout to background and then I have drawn the new letters in foreground until I was sure that the proportions of my own letters and digits are close enough for good model lettering. A professional decal maker did print my decals after and so I have got decals exact to real rail coaches of 1925.

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_20k.jpg]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_24k.jpg]

[Image: Brill_RailCoach_25k.jpg]

A few more details must be added yet; the windows do not have glass in the moment and will try to add safety chains to the trucks.
Especially I will like to change the sound, the bell rings too fast and the chime sound isn’t that what I would like to have. And a friend inspired to me adding a white LED to the roof lamp at back.

Last weekend I was guest at the yearly held FREMO-meeting in Unna, Germany and there I could the model let run on a really big modular layout for a first time. Look three small videos of model and the interest of other guests for it. Click and enjoy!

First run
Shay meets rail coach
rail coach and visitors

Special thanks also to the members of the NYNH&H Yahoo-group for their friendly help and helpful information to my questions.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread