Railfanning CSX past and present
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I don't think those are exceptions, Brakie. Both of the photos you linked to were taken in 2000. Before I retired in 2006, the shop I worked out of was next to the U.P. main in City of Industry, Ca. I also made service calls all over the Southern Los Angeles County, Northern Orange County, and Western Riverside and San Bernardino County area. I seldom saw a BNSF or U.P. train without foreign power in the consist. In those years, I used to see almost as much CSX, NS, or Conrail power as U.P. and BNSF it seemed. In addition, they also had a lot of leased power. Probably only 25% Foreign power, but it stood out so much that it seemed to be more. In the last two years, the only non-home road power I've seen has been rentals, and those units are few and far between. I think right now the economy is so bad that the railroads are even storing a significant portion of their power. I suspect that purchases of new power have been delayed by both the U.P. and the BNSF and they may have even "moth balled" equipment that they were planning to trade in on the new power.

Ouch! "Now I got bite by All things railroad".. Wallbang
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread