Van Hobbies brass CNR N-5-d 2-8-0 rebuild/ Finished pics add
Here is another picture of the tender before paint removal with the damaged oil bunker removed. It was actually just sitting on top the tender in the other pictures. I was actually lucky that the oil bunker was not damaged any worse. It took a lot of careful work to remove the bends and get it to look as it should.

Next I decided to inspect the drivers. The were supposed to have moderate wear and they did. After cleaning them of the old sticky oil and dirt I placed them back in the frame to do a roll test. Right away it was clear by the bouncing wiggle the frame had when rolled down a section of track something was wrong. Careful inspection soon showed the axle holes on a couple of the wheels were not centered. One was of center by 0.025". I had planned on replating the original drivers but now replacing them was the only option. So I ordered some new 63" drivers from Greenway Products.

A couple of the new drivers beside an original one. The original ones had cast white metal center and the new ones have cast brass center. I like the brass better.I also believe the new drivers have either solid nickel silver tires or stainless steel tires. Either way they are not plated.

Wayne R

Messages In This Thread