Van Hobbies brass CNR N-5-d 2-8-0 rebuild/ Finished pics add
When the new driver set arrived I was faced with a new problem. The counter weights were all the same ( small ). I was unable to get new drivers with medium and heavy counter weights that had the same side rod screw spacing from the center of the axle. The pictures below show the new drivers with modified counter weights.     This photo shows the four new driver sets.

I added some plastic to the counter weights on two driver sets to give me medium and heavy counter weights. I wanted to use brass sheet stock but the spokes made it to hard to get the brass sheet to lay flat and look right. Plastic was my next choice and it came out nice. Once the wheel are painted it will be hard to tell there is plastic there.

Seeing as the original driver springs were way to stiff I decided to add some new ones. NWSL light springs were added to all four axles.    

Here is the frame with the new modified drivers, light driver springs and the side rods in place.    

A rolling test showed the new drivers were a big improvement. The frame now rolls very smoothly. The bouncing is gone. While installing the drivers in the frame I noticed some of the axle bearings fit loose in the frame slots. They had front to back play. I used strips of brass shim stock to correct this and made sure the axles stayed 90 degrees to the frame and the axle center spacing was the same on each side. Once I completed adding the shims further rolling test showed it rolled even better.

I forgot to take pictures of the bearing shims but will do so when the frame is taken apart for final cleaning and painting.

Wayne R

Messages In This Thread