Van Hobbies brass CNR N-5-d 2-8-0 rebuild/ Finished pics add
Well I finally found time to resize the rest of the pictures. Once I post what I have I will have posted just about all the work that was done over the last few months.

Here we have the motor and gearbox kit I will be using to replace the open frame motor and the worn out original gearbox.
The motor is rated at 10,000 rpm. The gearbox is a 36:1 ratio. This combination with the scale 63" drivers should give me a scale speed somewhere around 65mph. I am not too worried about top speed but I do want the locomotive to have good smooth slow speed.

This photo shows the original motor mount and the modified mount.

I modified the motor mount to except the can motor by bending a piece of 0.010" brass sheet to match the curvature of the motor case. Next I took another peice of 0.010" brass sheet and made a U channel. It took some measuring to figure out how high to make the sides of the U channel so the curved brass sheet section would touch both sides of the U channel and the bottom of the U channel at the same time. Once everything fit the way I wanted it I soldered it together and to the original motor mount. A simple and sturdy motor mount.

Wayne R

Messages In This Thread