Modifying a diesel (BR211 to M44)
I started modifying a German BR 211 by Arnold (typical starter engine, N gauge) into a Hungarian M 44 (no N gauge models available, some small-series brass in H0....love the bright colours). The models are close enough lengthwise and so on to allow for a conversion. The biggest obstacle seems to be the size of the frame on the original model. The frame is all-steel and every free bit of the body is taken up by it. Now, I thought, shaving off a few millimetres here and there shouldn't be a problem, after all the engine and transmission will fit inside perfectly after the little modifications.

Right. Took apart the beast and on to shaving off the millimetres. I discovered the obvious: steel is pretty damn hard. I started cutting it with a dremel (clone) and a engraving point. It does work, more or less, but it is painstakingly slow. Next idea is to get a saw and try that (will that work?) or are there suitable bits for the dremeloid to cut instead of file?

My second approach would be to rebuild the body from brass and styrene. A bit more challenging, but at least it would be correctly sized. If I can't find a good solution for cutting the steel block I'll probably get me a few sheets of brass after the weekend..

I am making some progress pictures as I work, will post some eventually.
-norm

Messages In This Thread