Rail Road Memerabilia / stuff
Charlie, being from New England, and not far from Framingham, Massachusettes, I just had to find out about this railroad. Plus I like doing stuff like that.
Here's what I found(but maybe you knew this already)
The F&L was charted in 1870, and after opened, was leased to the Boston, Clinton and Fitchburg in 1871. Probably a couple of months after your stock was issued. It ran as a branchline of the BC&F until 1882 when it was reorganized as the Lowell and Framingham Railroad. In 1886 it was incorparated into the Old Colony, a division of the New Haven.
The writer wrote that when the New Haven was absorbed into Conrail(Oops...I think he means Penn Central), the line was not used except for a small portion in Framingham. After PC went belly up, the line was transfered to Massachusettes, which contracted with Conrail to operate it. In the early 1980's, Bay Colony railroad operated it to sevice lumber yards in Acton, Mass. Service ended all together in the 1990's. Now its earmarked for a Rails to Trails project.
Just a little bit of history to go along with your stock.

Gee...I wonder if you couldn't take that to Massachusettes and claim ownership of the ROW? Well, at least one share of it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread