How to Electrify a railroad
I've decided to "rewire" small display module with Reading Company style catenary. To my knowledge, only one other person (known here as AC_Catenary) has attempted any Reading Company electrifiction. I put the PRR wires back onto my 4x8 (and they need repairs from traveling around anyways).

I could not find the scale plans for Reading Catenary, so I drew up some plans based on Pennsylvania railroad Dimensions. There is an area where the PRR and the Reading parallel closely on the norristown line, and the catenary seem to be built to the same height and distances.

The following dimensions I borrowed from the PRR-

Rail-to-wire height- 22'

Rail to Steady-wire- 24'

Rail to cross-beam- 32'6"

outer track center to inside of catenary pole- 12' 6"

The following dimensions are extrapolated from measuring photos and determining their proportions, so don't quote it as true:

Average pole height- 55' 6"

transmission arm height from crossbeam- 22'

Transmission arm length- 5'

Corner brace- assumptions- creates a 30-60-90 degree triangle

Corner brace mounts- 8' below cross brace

- ~ 4' 7" to 5' from vertical pole

I have already begun building an mock-up (which is probably good enough to be used on my layout).

Have a look!

I used "H5" 5/16" H columns for the poles, "H4" H column for the cross beam, and I can't remember which stock the "T" brass came from, but its used in the corner sag braces. I have 0.025" Phosphor Bronze wire for the wires. I also have a jig that cuts 0.020 brass wire into grab irons that fit the H5 columns, And i will add those in as well!

The extra length on the bottom is for mounting purposes "Beneath" the surface of the layout.

[Image: P9191020.jpg]

Here is the prototype in Norristown. My catenary will be very similar to this in style.

[Image: P5060285.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread