Planning a Short Line PT.3 Choosing Industries.
OK.You have the motive power..

Now let's chose industries.

In choosing industries I highly recommend that the traffic to and from these industries leave and enter through interchange instead of being connected.

The type of industries we model should reflect the area we model.If we model(say) the Northwest then we should carry lots of lumber.If we model (say) a industrial area we should have boxcars,lumber cars,coil cars,tank cars etc.If we model the grain belt we should be heavy in grain hoppers.

Let's take a closer look.

In choosing industries we need to consider the era we model.By doing this you can add several different types of industries to include shoe manufacturers,tanneries,small power plants used for local industry complex and other such industries.

In compiling your list of possible industries we can use several research methods,books from the library on local history,the internet and my favorite driving through the area we plan to model-we can also take notes on local industries,names of rivers,creeks,connecting railroads etc.Be sure to take lots of photos.

Is bigger better?

I think so..I fully believe 5 or 6 large industries beats 20 small industries that is drawf by a 40' boxcar.Unlike small industrie the larger industries can have more then one spot or can use more then one type of car.

We can have our largest industry along the back drop and still have more then one spot and (say) a unloading area for cover hoppers or tank cars.

Remember.. "The more spots you have at a industry the more switching value you get in return." Sorry,I long forgot who said that but,I remember that line.

So,let's hear your thoughts and if you wish you can add your list of industries-I am still working on my list beyond Land Star Grains.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread