CNJ's Newark bay draw
I was in town again yesterday and stopped by west 8th street to check it out. I was somewhat disappointed by the station. from the outside it looks like a nice new building maybe with a waiting room or at least a sitting aria so that you could get out of the weather as you wait for your train... Nope...just a set of stairs and an elevator. The bottom of the building is completely open to the elements offering no shelter at all. Even the ticket machines are located outside, that will be fun in the snow, The HBLR line is not exactly known for prompt clean up in bad weather. There was a small mural of the old station tucked up high in the corner of one wall, If you don't look for it your never going to find it. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, the old station was removed a long time ago and the aria has not had passenger service for 30+ years. So something is better than nothing.
I took a few pics from my cell phone to share with you here.

[Image: 20110409150530.jpg]
The front of the station with the new raised trackage behind it. The old grade of the CNJ's 4 track main is still in use as a CR joint access line. It is now down to a single track with the rest of the space used as a high way.

[Image: 20110409151344.jpg]
this is the station as seen from the platform . The original station stood about 100 feet to the right of the current building.

[Image: 20110409151259.jpg]
this is a shot of the platform looking west towards the freight yard that is still in use today.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread