Suggestions for dimensional scale lumber sizes.
Quick question.

What (in anyone's opinion) would be a good width of dimensional scale lumber for one to use for pier decking that could "realistically" support rolling stock and locomotives?

The dimensional thickness actually doesn't really matter as the model I'll be building will use 1/8" craft plywood for its base and the thickness will not be seen once the model is completed. I was thinking of something like an * x 12 or maybe a * x 16. With " * " being the dimensional thickness. I guess a width that looks soild and sturdy with out looking too over sized is what I'm looking for here. I was thinking something with a width of 12" will be sufficient as the truss bridge I am also building has chords of wood that are 10 x 12".

I might experiment a bit here and build a couple of mock-ups with some track and put a loco or car on top to see how it looks, but was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion or idea as to what to start with.

This is one of those instances where I wish I could mill my own scale lumber but I do not think I have the tools to make consistent or accurate cuts unless someone has suggestions on how to use a 12" table saw to make small pieces of timber? But that seems like it would just make more saw dust then actual timber. Plus...its seems kinda dangerous Confusedhock:
(Perhaps it could be done with some care and a thin kerf blade? I dunno?)

Now I'm rambling...any thoughts?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread