Would anyone be interested in the "Photography Game" here?
doctorwayne Wrote:Charlie, are the hoppers interspersed among the locomotives for braking purposes? I'm guessing that since it's unlikely that the switchers would have mu connections, the independent brake won't activate (even if they were coupled directly to the lead units) and the switcher's train-braking function won't work if the switcher isn't under its own power. In that case, I assume that the switchers' air hoses are simply to complete the brakepipe between the hoppers, which, with the lead locomotives, provide all of the braking for the train. The switchers are along only for the ride, or am I misunderstanding how things function?

Wayne
Wayne, the locomotive brakes have a setting that allows them to operate with the train brake. I believe the main reservoirs function like the reservoirs on the cars. The hoppers were added to supply extra brakes though I have seen them move locomotives without the extra cars. Without the extra cars they could be set to function with the independent but I think that requires that they do have MU hoses for the brake. I never had nor could I MU. The ALCo wasn't equiped.
They could not leave the yard without all of the brakes functioning. I know the locals now use a locomotive at either end and the engineer walks from one end to the other. With the new 26 brake all you do is turn one knob to set the brake for an in tow position which makes the brake function with the train line, Sorry I can't remember what that position is called.
Charlie

Messages In This Thread