Free trackplanning software?
MountainMan Wrote:For roughing out a plan, I use one of the free downloads that uses sectional track libraries to give me a fast picture of what's possible and what isn't, and then fine tune the actual trackage as the layout is built. Lots of people have lots of reasons why that is a bad idea, but it works for me, especially since ideas and modifications occur to me as I work.
Cheers
"but it works for me, " 'Nuff said. That is what this hobby is all about.
Yes, I used AutoCad to post the plan of my modules, in my "New modules" thread. I didn't use it to "plan the layout" of the modules.....that was done in my mind's eye.
As to the "steep learning curve"? Bring it on! Learning is living, and I do enjoy a steep learning curve.....I wouldn't be able to research projects if I didn't (I've spent seven years trying to resolve detail issues with the N.Y. Pilot schooner "Phantom" project). The longer it takes to learn something, the longer it stays in my memory.
The "old addage" "Easy come-easy go" applies.
I look at a steep learning curve as a refreshing challenge, actually separate from the project that required the learning. Frustrating? Needing time and effort? Yes!
But it works for me. Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread