Free trackplanning software?
I've used several CAD programs during my lifetime, and take to learning new software like a fish to water. In short, I'm one of the most computer literate people I know. That said...XtrkCAD is quirky and cumbersome at best. My guess is, that's why it went totally free, because there just weren't enough people buying it in the first place. I've seen (and used) several track planning programs, and there isn't a lot of difference between them. CADRail also has a free demo, but costs $60-$90 to buy.

In my opinion, 3rd PlanIt is the best one available. There is a free demo, but it cost $125 to buy. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you want a good program that's easy to use and has updated support, be prepared to pay for it. If you're not willing to pony up the cash, well, you know what they say: beggars can't be choosers. John Armstrong offers a great pencil and paper track planning tutorials in his books, but those also cost around $20 each. Ultimately, if you're serious about planning, you have to consider it part of your MRR budget and get what you want.
Tony

Messages In This Thread