ES44DC's and AC's
Icon_lol railohio - I don't know what I was thinking...I forgot all about the FT units and several types of F units, plus the various SD70's by Athearn and Kato and GP units by Lifelike and Atlas.

You are so right about the diesel "look"...all I meant was the cab design, axle, and body design of modern diesels make them look pretty similar. I understand that modern day railroads need a particular long haul engine based on their requirements, and form usually follows function. (Although there seemed to be more variation in the 60's through the 80's.) But I have no problem at all buying engines from the 50's forward to current day...they all look great in their own way, and they all get laps on my layout. The way I wrote that previous post was rather dismissive - though I didn't mean it to read that way. (I get the same thing from people who are not in aviation saying all airplanes look alike. To my eye, each variation within a model of aircraft is identifiable, even if only the antennas or hatches are changed.) I understand manufacturers today need to make a profit and will make those engines that they believe people want. And what doesn't get made this year might be made next, or might be a project to build. Is this a great hobby or what!?!
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread