The Union Pacific Elmwood Route
Hi Folks,

Been quite a while since I've posted here. Lot's has happened since my last post in August, but to sum it up both my wife and I lost our jobs in Houston, so we decided to move back home to New Orleans (which we did Oct. 31). I luckily managed to get a new job after 2 weeks, and then we were able to lease a new home shortly after wards where the wife offered me full use of the tiny, single-car garage.

So fast forward a few weeks and here I am! New city, new job, new house, and now a new layout.

So here I'll be posting progress on this new layout that is based on the Model Railroad project layout, The Salt Lake Route shown in the Jan 2010 issue.

I've already posted a few things to my blog, so the first couple posts will be "catch-up" posts.

Also, here's a look at the removal of the Elmwood Subdivision layout from my Texas home: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://vimeo.com/6346558">http://vimeo.com/6346558</a><!-- m -->

Glad to be back!

Originally Posted December 1, 2009.
----------------------------------------

Last night I started doodling around with a track plan for the new layout. I discovered that I can take my existing benchwork modules and arrange them to fit this exact plan. So another "Yippie!" for this plan. I mainly started working on trying determine the needed radius on the track. I have most everything situated excepted for the right section, and the upper industry spur (near the orange car shop). But so far it's coming along nicely I think.

I've also been thinking about the layout's location. I do like the valley side with the tunnels, but would like it to be a little more green. I couldn't really move it to a real southern location because it's pretty flat here with no tunnels, and keeping the tunnels might be a requirement as they act as a good scene divider on that side of the layout. The same goes for the industry side; something a little more urban/just-outside-of-town scene, rather than a rocky desert scene.

So I'm going to toss on my Freelance hat and call the layout the Union Pacific Elmwood Route and use some of the old layout info for it's background.
Here's a look at what the plan looks like so far:

[Image: GaragePlan-113009.png]

Messages In This Thread