What I did this week
Well, i built a box car. It wasn't quite shake the box, but more like full sized!

Down at the Pemberton Historic Trust railroad museum, they just bought a new, very clean former Rock Island PS-1 50' boxcar. All the pieces arrived this past Monday, and we did prep work then. My girlfriend and I went down and gave them a hand, clearing snow and moving over an old PRR N5C to make room for the new box car. we initially tried pushing it with a tractor, but there was to much snow. Once we dug the snow and ice out, it was easy enough to push the caboose over.

I took this picture of her single handedly pushing the caboose after i got it rolling with a car mover (not sure what the name of the tool is, but is like a lever that you push the wheels with).

[Image: pembertonboxcar12212209.jpg]

We both learned to use the break wheel, and how to pry open really old brakes!

The trucks arrived later that day, followed by the boxcar itself around 6 PM.

the next morning, on the 22nd, we put it all together. fork lifts helped us put the trucks on the rails, and then we rolled them to the correct distances.

[Image: pembertonboxcar12212209k.jpg]

After this stage, the ground got muddy and we had to wait for the rigging crew to bring in steel plates to run on. While this was going on, a few interesting things flew by.

A Bald Eagle apparently was curious about the commotion and soared overhead for quite a while.

[Image: pembertonboxcar12212209m.jpg]

A flight of A10s also streaked across the sky. This one made a tight bank right just after the photo was taken.

[Image: pembertonboxcar12212209r.jpg]

after the steel plates were placed, the boxcar was set up on blocks and the large forklift lifted the load up onto the trucks.

this guy was a little brave going under the car...

[Image: pembertonboxcar12212209r.jpg]

In the end though, we got it all together! We put the couplers on a little while later.

Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread