I Saw A Train Today!
Hi guys...I wanted to chime in for a second here about those solar panels. CSX operates some of the same version on their work trains. They are used to power the chutes on the bottom of ballast cars. A CSX MOW employee controls the flow of each chute while dumping ballast along the track. He can "safely" operate each car with a radio control unit strapped to him while the train is in motion. I have seen this done two ways - I'm sure there are other ways but here is what I've seen.

First, I've seen this done while the MOW employee was in a MOW vehicle. The vehicle was driving alongside the train while laying ballast.

Second, I've seen him on a caboose (branchline with no access road alongside the track).

He can control which direction the chutes pour (outside - inside) and the flow rate of the ballast.

For the record, I was told the panels power the batteries located inside the boxes - the batteries are for remote control operations and the chutes are hydrolic.

It's pretty neat to watch in operation. So, next time your trackside, don't "blowoff" that ballast train in favor of some hotshot TV train. Check out how they lay ballast - and rail for that matter.

I hope I answered some questions for you. I am not a expert by any means, but I have seen it done and how they are used.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread