Multi-lap scenery, an open discussion
Not a question for the "linear walkaround, once through the scene" types. And not a question about a specific layout, but I think this still goes here.

I've drawn many twice-around plans. In some cases, parts of these layouts were forced to have three or even four routes through a scene. I could never figure how to make the more extreme cases look convincing.

Only recently did I realize that my difficulty was forced by requiring space between each lap. Many published and constructed layouts have, for example, two single-track lines running through a scene as a double-track line. Visually, this is actually more convincing. A multi-track line looks more believable than multiple separate routes close by. And, if there are no crossovers between the laps, operational separation is maintained. But I've always avoided it. I require the ability to suspend disbelief and accept that the laps aren't actually in the same place, and putting them right against each other is the final step I can't take.

So, my question is: What are your limits on suspension of disbelief? What produces a "wedding cake" reaction? And what makes tracks "feel" close together or far apart?
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!

Messages In This Thread