Multi-lap scenery, an open discussion
Some of the following photos are old and changes have been made in some scenes but they are helpful in illustrating my points. My layout is a big continuous oval twisted into a folded U shaped dogbone in which the return loops are superimposed on top of each other. I use the trick of making the tracks look like double main line as mentioned above. On one side of the layout I tried to separate the levels in a way that suggests main high line in the background and yard trackage in the foreground.
[Image: IMG_0846.jpg]

The end of that part of the "U" is actually the middle of the folded dogbone. I've broken up that double track loop by putting a big steel mill complex in the middle of it. The larger structures block the view of the back part of the loop as it gains height.
[Image: nice1.jpg]

The center of the "U" is where the tracks are close and most congested. Since the dogbone is folded over itself and has a long siding running a good part of its length there are four tracks visible here and two hidden. All exposed they would create a very unrealistic mess. Breaking this area up with tunnels and a large industry where no track is visible for a couple of feet helps as does the foliage in front of the track on the upper level. Two tracks are hidden behind that removable retaining wall.
[Image: IMG_0993.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0613.jpg]

On the other side of the "U" scenic work and large industry helps draw attention away from the upper level of track.
[Image: IMG_0641.jpg]

Track runs at a higher level behind the light buildings in the foreground and the gray flats on the backdrop, and cannot be seen for the most part. The car float draws the eye away from the background too.
[Image: IMG_1149.jpg]

On the superimposed return loop section all of the lower loop is hidden until it emerges from the tunnel while a good part of the upper loop is blocked by the hill and farm scene.
[Image: IMG_0805.jpg]

Several famous layouts have been built in the "wedding cake style" such as the John Allen's G&D. I think it is a matter of preference. I have a great regard for the "once only through a scene" concept but the layout i designed works vest for my enjoyment.

Ralph

Messages In This Thread