Multi-lap scenery, an open discussion
Quote:Hide in plain sight: make the scene look like four tracks are needed ( yard, for example)

Quote:Four routes can be hidden as two double track routes.

Those are exactly what I was talking about. What I was saying is, I have never accepted those methods, even though they look more reasonable.

Also, just saying that on paper makes it sound like each line is only one track all the time. A single-track line has passing tracks. Four routes through a scene would more likely be six tracks, and that's why I find that extreme. I notice that most plans with more than two routes in a scene look short on passing tracks. The G&D is the most famous example.

I suppose that's my problem. I've seen photos of many layouts that manage 3+ routes without looking ridiculous to my eye, but most of those layouts (or parts thereof) are mainly "out in the country" mainline.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diorama.co.jp/img544.jpg">http://www.diorama.co.jp/img544.jpg</a><!-- m -->

An elevated line and station, even running above houses. This actually looks scenically convincing, because it's not far off reality... for Japan.

As an aside, Japanese layouts frequently push multi-lapping far beyond anything we'd consider reasonable (5 times around double-track mainline, anyone?) They look more like Lionel setups.

Quote:or have trackage that is used by more than one "route", hiding the points where multiple routes converge.

And that is what I absolutely never do. I allow visual spaghetti, but not schematic spaghetti.

Maybe I sound antagonistic. I guess I'm just frustrated because I often see plans that fit something in some space, I like them, and it takes me a long time to realize those plans are doing what they can by making compromises I don't want to make. And then I have to up my estimates for how much space it takes to do something. Simplest example, and one I did realize early on: If a plan says it's designed for 20-car trains, there's a good chance it's meaning a mix of 40' and 50' cars, and four 5-unit stack cars, for example, will be too long for it.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!

Messages In This Thread