Grand Canyon Railway - steam is back!
My family and I were at the Mt. Hood railroad a few years back for a Day Out with Thomas the Cash, er, Tank Engine when the 2-8-0's were there. In fact, one was being worked on that very day. I'll see if I have some pictures on the computer somewhere...

I've never ridden the GCRy, but I did get a chance to railfan it back in 1998. A buddy and I were traveling from Florida to California via the Grand Canyon (and a few other scenic highlights like New Orleans, OK City, and Vegas). When we visited the canyon we approached from the E, and didn't leave much time for exploring the depot. IN fact, we never saw it. Confusedhock:

But the next morning we got up early enough to drive from Flagstaff where we had stayed towards Williams in time to see puffs of smoke coming through town. We chased the train north as far as we could then stopped at a dirt road to photograph. We were shooting from the West since we didn't want to drive up the road over the tracks. Turns out we probably could have as there were a few other folks on the other side that morning who were probably railfans. Oh well. At least we got to see it barrel by under STEAM. I don't remember which engine it was.

Good memories.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread