Repower Athearn H0 CF-7
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think flywheels were primarily needed for dc operation to smooth out the operation. If your flywheels are unbalanced, and you are running dcc, why not try it without flywheels? You might need longer drive shafts, but it might run much better in dcc without the flywheels.
Russ, this is an old thread that did not get updated. I posted in a new thread the solution I used for my CF7. It is the motor assembly from the Athearn Genesis F7. It fits perfect and two of my CF7 run as smooth as Atlas engines. This premium drives has been used under two ATSF shells that have been replaced some weeks ago when the LAJ shells arrived. They are the CF7 that got the working ditch lights.
It is not very economic to sacrifice an Genesis F7 for a RTR CF7 but the F7 have been stored unused in the cellar and the CF7 are in daily use.

However, I did have some problems with an P1K GP15 and replaced the motor with a new motor without flywheels. And in fact there is very little difference. Fly wheels are not "must" for an engine with good power pickup and a DCC decoder.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread