Gary S' 2010 Spring Bash Challenge (Boxcar)
Starting point: Beat up Life-Like 40 foot boxcar from the bargain bin at the LHS. Missing both doors, broken stirrups, missing wheels, horn-hook truck-mounted couplers, and sanp-in trucks.

Goal: Create a servicable boxcar similar to the prototype photo. The photo is from 1979. Note the ACI label and the wheel dot. Also, the roofwalk has been removed and the ladders have been shortened. (Image linked from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net</a><!-- m -->)

First, the model is not quite exactly like the prototype. It has different ends, and has riveted sides instead of welded. That's okay by me, I won't bother with reconstructing those items. After all, I'm really just after a useable car, not an exact match.

Mechanically, I will bodymount Kadee couplers, replace the trucks with screw-attached trucks/metal wheels, and replace the steel weight with lead.

Aesthetically, I will replace the broken stirrups, replace the door slider rails with smaller ones, replace the molded on grab irons,and install doors (perhaps in the open position as shown, which will require some detailing of the floor). I'll also either trim the ladders down to half height, or perhaps shave them completely off and go with new ladders (can't see the brake wheel end, so not sure if they lowered the brake wheel or not... will make that decision later). I may add brake hardware under the chassis a la DocWayne if I get up the gumption. The factory lettering and blue plastic is satisfactory, but the data on the right side of the car will be replaced to match the photo. I'll add the ACI label, lube plate, and wheel dot. Now, the hard part... the roofwalk is molded on, and will have to be removed. I'll carve it off and rebuild the roof under the roofwalk. Add a bit of weathering, and we are there.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread