Ralph's 2010 Spring Bash Challenge
I actually started this project before the challenge started but it seems like an appropriate entry...especially since I don't have anything else in the works right now. Goldth If you've been following my blog you know I'm trying to make more realistic cabooses both for my freelanced road and the Penn Central trains I run.

My Spring Bash contest entry will be one of the N8's I'm working on. The N8 cabooses on the Penn Central are former Pennsylvania RR cabins. I'm creating two of them using old Tyco cabooses. I've been holding onto a Railroad Model Craftsman Article from 1970 that describes this conversion that makes a "reasonable looking N8". Here is a proto photo of an N8: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1076248">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1076248</a><!-- m -->

Here's the classic Tyco caboose (purchased from the back room of my LHS for $2.99).
[Image: IMG_1231-1.jpg]

First step...change the shape of the Tyco caboose so it looks more like an N8. This involves cutting the roof so the cupola can be turned around and centered. [Image: IMG_1233-1.jpg]

After that I needed to cut the small window so it matched the larger ones and then fill in the center window so there are only two as on the prototype.
I used Green Putty to fill in seams, sanded, and then primed.
[Image: IMG_1260.jpg]

A little more sanding and then time to paint the body green...
[Image: IMG_1261.jpg]

There seem to have been a variety of paint schemes for PC cabooses...all green roof, all black roof, green cupola on black roof, but it seems that most of the photos of N8s show the latter option. I masked the cupola and painted the rest of the roof black.
[Image: IMG_1265.jpg]

Adding decals is next. I needed to purchase some more PC lettering online from Microscale. They just arrived so I'll post pics after that job is finished.

Ralph

Messages In This Thread