Industries with tank cars
Here is a few more idea's for tanks cars to show, again, that they can fit in anywhere.

The first, is taken from the pages of Classic Trains' magazine, Railroads At War II. published by Kalmbach. On page 46, it shows the ATSF Super Chief arriving at Albuquerque. The "Chief" is led by "new" diesel locomotives. These "new" engines require a "fuel stop" too - much like it's steam counterparts needed coal.

Anyway, at the station, parked on a side track alongside the platform, is a pair of tank cars. These tank cars are loaded with diesel fuel, and hoses are running from them, directly to the units of the Chief. This is how they used tank cars - to store diesel fuel for "pit stops" for arriving trains. Judging from the condition of the track used, it must have been a frequent move to get tank cars in and out of there.

Another quick tip is taken from the MA&N RR. They had a customer that received a liqued product called "iceban". It was a type of liqued used to clear roads of snow and ice buildup. Not sure what it was mixed with, if anything but I can tell you it was pumped into and stored in large "fuel type" tanks located next to the tracks. All you need is a large (whatever size is good I guess), a hose and some piping and BINGO - you have a cheap industry.

I think I beat this issue to death so I'll move on now. If you need some hints though, thumb through some railroad magazines and look at the pictures. It's neat to see what's going on behind the scenes. Or, just use your imagination to "make up" something moved in a tank car. It's your railroad..your the boss.

I hope I helped you with some ideas.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread