doctorwayne's Spring Bash Challenge II...
Just like the stock cars, I was unsure if I should enter this one:  it's an Athearn Blue Box caboose, which I had hoped to upgrade with a few details.  However, I'm stumped as to the best method to create one of the details, so I've decided to omit them for now, adding them later if I come up with a solution.

Here's the kit, $3.00 new in the box, probably 'cause there aren't very many around here modelling the New Haven Misngth :

The diagonal-panel roof is too modern for my late-'30s modelling era...

...and the sealed-pane type windows wouldn't be too popular with my crews...

As you can see in the photo above, I've already started fixing the windows.  The replacement shown is from Grandt Line, although Tichy offers an identical part.

I also started altering the roof, using an X-Acto #17 chisel blade to remove the bulk of the material, then finishing off with a small mill file:

My original thought was to replace all of the windows with the Grandt Line versions, but once the end windows were enlarged, I thought that it looked too crowded...

...so I made some plugs from .060" sheet styrene, sealing the openings completely:

Still "plugging along", the holes in the roof and floor casting were taken care of, using styrene rod of the appropriate diameters.  I prefer it over sprues, as it's easy to re-drill holes to suit the rod, making the holes .006" - .009" undersize, then forcing the solvent-soaked rod into place.  This saves on the necessity of using body putty to fill any gaps:

As you may have noticed, I also shaved off the grab irons and a few other details - this is easiest to do before removing the paint, although there's usually a little finishing work to do after the paint is gone.  Next, into the paint stripper, in this case methyl hydrate, which works well on the original Athearn paints:

In a few minutes, the paint began to blister.  I'll take a break while it works:

Wayne

Messages In This Thread